As the warm weather finally approaches, it’s time to shed some layers! Along with those sweaters and turtlenecks, you might like to trim down a pound or two to be ready for those strappy dresses and bikinis by the pool.
When starting a new way of eating you want to make sure you’re prepared and ease into it so you can set yourself up for success. Work on changing your eating part of your lifestyle and avoid those glamorized crash diets. “Yo-Yo” type diets can lead to muscle loss and weight gain later, but also additional health concerns arise like blood sugar imbalances, hormonal irregularities and a drop in bone density.
A healthy eating lifestyle includes a combination of protein, carbohydrates and yes, FATS! Both essential fats from fish, nuts and seeds as well as saturated fat from butter, full fat yogurt and coconut oil. Fats are a huge contributor to dropping those last few inches. Without proper combinations and balance you’ll notice cravings, mood swings and fatigue. So be sure to eat all three food groups to keep that blood sugar and energy balanced and those pounds will fall off without the need to live at the gym eating a lettuce leaf all day long.
Food sensitivities can lead to fluid retention, cravings and a feeling of wellbeing for a period of time after consumption. Is there a food that you couldn’t live without? That would be the first place to look. Often avoiding gluten or dairy for a period of time can alleviate that evening bloated feeling and digestive discomfort. Food sensitivities can hinder the end result. Keep a food diary daily, not only to track your progress but to help flesh out any potential reactions to foods you eat each day.
Follow the tips below for not only a svelte outside but a well balanced inside.
Weight Balancing Tips:
- Keep a food and mood diary
- Drink at least 2L of clean filtered water daily
- Get moving! Aim for 30-60 minutes of exercise daily
- Eat five small but frequent meals throughout the day, snacking a good!
- Always eat breakfast within an hour of waking to kick start your metabolism
- Get some zZz’s! Sleeping repairs the body, builds muscle and burns fat
- Fresh fruits, vegetables, complex carbohydrates, clean protein sources (chicken, fish, eggs, tempeh, lentils) and fats like avocado, olive oil and coconut are your friends
- Add protein to all meals and snacks to balance blood sugar
- Nuts and seeds count as both protein and healthy fats
Making the choice to live a healthy lifestyle and becoming aware of your body is very empowering. When you achieve your goal, celebrate––maybe not with a piece of chocolate cake though.