According to the MayoClinic.com the top men’s health threads are heart disease, cancer and unintentional injury. Eating broccoli every day won’t help the potential for the injury part on this list, but it certainly will help the others.
Just as with women, some men are healthy. They make their health a priority, exercise regularly and are committed to living a healthy lifestyle. Others go about their day, eating fast food on the run, rush from meeting to meeting feeling overworked and stressed and never seeing the inside of a gym or get out for a run around the block.
Men’s health can be supported with good, clean eating. Meals full of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and whole foods as well as lean protein and even a vegetarian night or two. That may not sound as appetizing as a burger and fries washed down with a beer, but it certainly can give more benefits that you knew possible. Here are a few:
- Eating breakfast – a bowl of cereal and a coffee doesn’t make for a healthy start to the day. Breakfast including fruit, whole grains like oatmeal, protein like eggs or cottage cheese and even a blended breakfast in a glass like a protein shake all set a balanced tone for the day. It helps to avoid binge eating, balances cravings and maintain a healthy weight.
- Skipping meals – eating on a schedule not only keeps blood sugar in check (think avoiding diabetes) but stops the constant coffee cup refill to maintain focus and get through the day. Snacking in between meals is not only good for balanced energy but another opportunity to fill up on more nutrients than anti-nutrients (like coffee).
- Order that salad – greens like spinach, kale, watercress, arugula found in some salads are packed with vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and antioxidants. The fibre that a salad provides over a white bread sub also helps to balance bad cholesterol and maintain a healthier weight.
- Drink water and leave the pop – high fructose corn syrup found in all pop and most ice tea like drinks isn’t doing the pancreas any favours. Known as a culprit for obesity, laying down belly fat and sending energy levels skyrocketing only to be followed by a crash. Drink 2L water per day to help skin, digestion, energy and detoxifying.
- Easy on the mixed drinks or beer – alcohol acts as an anti-nutrient in the body. That means that it uses up more nutrients in digestion and detoxification than it gives. It may taste like golden amber, but detoxifying it is more work and burden for the liver.
While this list could go on, these tips and suggestions will get any man on the track of great health. There is hope that he will grasp this before any of the typical diseases listed above, presents itself.